Scientific and Technical Expertise
The Scientific and Technical Committee (STC) was created in 2013 in order to assist the Federation, its Working Groups, and the wine, spirits and beer sectors with complex scientific and technical matters. Today the STC is composed of 45 members from 23 different companies and associations, making it one of the most significant gatherings of industry technical competence at the international level.
FIVS Committee Chair & Co-Chairs
Jonathan Breach is the Global Head of Quality and Regulatory Affairs for Accolade Wines and has been in wine industry quality, compliance, and government affairs roles for the last eight years.
Paul Huckaba is the Analytical Laboratory Manager at Bronco Wine Company, a family owned winery committed to growing, producing, and selling wines in over 90 countries worldwide.
Jennifer Turner is the Head of Technical Policy at the Wine and Spirit Trade Association with a background as an Analytical Biochemist and has served for a number of years in the British Food Standards Agency on both the Food Standards and Nutrition teams.
FIVS Scientific and Technical Initiatives
FIVS-APACE is a comprehensive online source for winemaking additives and processing aids approved around the world. The site provides detailed information for these substances on such topics as technological justifications and scientific evaluations.
FIVS Scientific and Technical Papers
The STC produces a wide variety of scientific papers which seek to promote the appropriate regulation of wine in countries around the world. The STC is also a major supplier of technical discussion papers to such bodies as the OIV Technical Congresses and the International Wine Technical Summits.
- Certificates of Analysis and Wine Authenticity
- Certificates of Analysis and Wine Safety
- Commentary on the Use of SO2 in Winemaking
- Crisis Management Guideline
- FIVS Guidance for the Fining of Wine and the Labelling of Fined Wines
- Good Manufacturing Practices in Practical Terms
- Harmonizing Expression of Measurement Results in Wine Analysis - Sugar in Wine
- Harmonizing Expression of Measurement Results in Wine Analysis - Titratable Acidity
- Harmonizing Reporting of Laboratory Limits
- Laboratory Accreditation
- Methanol in Wine
- Microbiologically, Wine is a Low Food Safety Risk Consumer Product (in Chinese)
- Microbiologically, Wine is a Low Food Safety Risk Consumer Product
- Regulating Winemaking Practice Additions in a Rapidly Evolving Global Market
- Regulatory Principles to Enhance Coherence and to Facilitate Trade in Wine
- Regulatory Principles to Enhance Coherence and to Facilitate Trade in Wine - Part 2
- Risk Based Limit Setting Guidelines